[Qgis-psc] 2019 grant voting is closed

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Sun Jun 30 16:05:28 PDT 2019

Hi

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019, 17:52 Paolo Cavallini, <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On 29/06/19 22:19, Jonathan Moules wrote:
>
> > This is a great intention and is something the FOSS-Geo solutions are
> > sorely lacking. I wonder though if it would be much better attained by
> > going the *much* simpler (and thus cheaper) path of improving
> > integration with the other current solutions (ideally using open
> > standards) rather than the much more complicated process and path of
> > creating and maintaining an entire server. This also has the added
> > benefit of creating a more dynamic and healthy FOSS-Geo ecosystem where
> > folks would then have a wide choice of servers.
>
> we have studied this possibility. Unfortunately, standards are far too
> semantically poor to accommodate the increasingly sophisticated graphic
> possibilities we have in QGIS. In any case, this will result in a huge
> amount of work (every new feature should be implemented twice, natively
> and as a standard translation), and results will always be uncertain.
> With QGIS server, the same libs are used, so the result is really WISIWYG.
> In addition, we are now OGC reference implementation for WMS, so I think
> we can only build on top of this important achievement.

I absolutely agree. This is THE usp of qgis for me. you prepare your
project once and have a desktop, server and mobile rendering of the same
great quality

> > A quick back-of-the-envelope investigation shows that of the ~4200 hosts
> > of public OGC services in the GeoSeer database, only 4 appear to be QGIS
> > server. I'm hoping to do a proper investigation into server software at
> > some point in the next few months, but I don't expect the numbers to
> > change much.

a quick "client survey in my mind" gives me a very different result, but
that is obviously biased. the nice thing is in any case the growing
interests as soon as you show server.

> Thanks for this interesting figure, very interesting. It would be quite
> useful to have an online stat of qgis-server adoption, would it be
> feasible for you to setup a crawl or similar?
>
> I'm quite sure qgis-server is far less known than it should be (most of
> my customers are easily convinced once they see it in action). I believe
> we should have an outreach program to make it more widely known.

yep, qgis server marketing needs some TLC

> Cheers.

ciao
Marco