[Qgis-psc] Financial warning

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at oslandia.com
Tue Mar 5 01:09:37 PST 2019

Hi all

Le 05/03/2019 à 08:52, Peter Petrik a écrit :
> I spend significant time staring at the issue tracker and browsing the
> issues (and multiply the time spend by number of developers...) . It
> would be great to do some kind of voting
> for bugs nominated for paid bug-fix program, if something like that is
> possible? Nominated bugs should be also properly described, so the
> developers just can take them and fix them.

Well, I see two ways:

 1- Supporting or funding a group of maintainers the whole year long to
maintain the bug tracker. Giovanni is doing a great job here, and as I
am trying to help when available, I know for sure it is a very hard
task. The issue flow keeps coming, you need all qgis versions to test,
launch a lot of qgis builds, be socially skilled to reformulate,
reproduce, sometimes politely keep the link with upset users.

2- Spread the word on how to raise issues correctly. In the QGIS user
days in France last december, we started a "community sprint", and one
workshop, was entitled "I have a problem with QGIS, what to do now?".  I
must say it was really a good exercise. Users are really demanding
helpers to jump in the process : where to find, how to behave,
understand the QGIS roadmap and version policy. I decided to take that
path for the french community because I feel this is our current
bottleneck.  I'd be pleased to share experience with other QGIS user
groups.

y two cents, régis

--
Open Source GIS Expert / Water management

mail: regis.haubourg at oslandia.com
tél: 0033 184 257 870
http://oslandia.com/

OSLANDIA IS AN INNOVATIVE COMPANY SPECIALIZED IN GIS ARCHITECTURE. WE
PROVIDE SERVICE ON OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE FOR WHICH WE ARE EDITORS OR
RECOGNIZED EXPERTS.