[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mac OS packaging and infrastructure

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Mar 26 08:36:24 PDT 2019

Hi

> On 26 Mar 2019, at 14:39, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Ok I know this may sound heretic (please don't send me to the stake or my kids will starve), but did you consider selling the Mac packages for a small fee?
>
> I mean it's absolutely fair that you require a compensation for all you hard work on the Mac stuff, you well deserve it, but I'm not sure this should be on the general QGIS.org budget.
>
> The rationale is that the we all know the reasons why developing on Mac is so expensive (well, Mac is so expensive in general) and I think that Mac users should pay for the most of it, not all the users.

As a totally biased MacOS user I’m -1 for this. I don’t think supporting packages on Windows or Linux is really any cheaper, just that we had a willing volunteer (Jürgen and others for other Linux derivatives) who contributed a lot of effort for free. I would really not like to see that we single out one platform and start charging for packages it.

---

Tim Sutton
tim at qgis.org