[Qgis-psc] Github sponsorship

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Fri May 24 02:13:03 PDT 2019

Hi All,

The way I envisage this can help QGIS project:
1. To run QGIS Grant through Github Sponsor. Applicants will publish their
prototype/proposal as a GH repository. QGIS will sponsor the individual to
carry out the work (which can be a feature, documentation, infrastructure,
etc):

1.1. For the first year, if I read that correctly, GH will match the
contribution of under 5k dollar. So, it will be additional cash for the
applicants.

1.2 Users can also sponsor the applicants directly.

2. Crowd funding campaigns: QGIS developers run their campaigns through the
sponsorship program (not much to do with QGIS org)
3. QGIS as an organisation joins the sponsorship program. There will be
opportunity to run campaigns (similar to Wikimedia) to raise fund for a
specific work (e.g. infrastructure, documentation, bug fixing).

The first year, there is no charges, so maybe there is an opportunity to
explore on of the options.

Regards
Saber

On Fri, 24 May 2019 at 08:52, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> On 24/05/19 09:43, Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote:
>
> > On 24/05/2019 09:25, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> >> Thanks Richard for the analysis. I think it is worth exploring ways to
> >> do it properly. I agree that sponsoring individual developers is not the
> >> best way for us, but it could be useful nevertheless, taking the fist 4
> >> committers.
> >
> > I tend to disagree here. 4 developers to be paid on behalf of the rest
> > of the community really seems unfair. QGIS.org choosing these developers
> > put the association in a risky situation.
> > Basing this on the amount of commit also is a mistake according to me.
> > It is definitely not a good indicator of value, neither amount of work.
> > And how do you count ? Which repositories ? How do you include
> > documentation, infrastructure, testing, bug triaging ?
> > Using the amount of commits as our principal measurement of contribution
> > is wrong on many level, as it conveys the message "developers are the
> > most valuable persons on a project", which is against our search for
> > diversity and the importance of other kind of contributions.
>
> I do not see a big problem here: these are additional resources, we have
> funds to equalize them, compensating other devs fairly with our own
> funds matching the ones from GH.
>
> > Getting involved with GitHub to allow organizations to participate in
> > this sponsorship program would be interesting.
>
> sure, this is the best route. I'm just suggesting to take this
> opportunity, and push to go towards organization funding.
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> QGIS.ORG Chair: