[Qgis-psc] [QGIS-Developer] Direct push forbidden to master

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sun Nov 10 02:42:41 PST 2019

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 09:20:11AM +0100, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:

> Just one thing I would recommend investing a bit more time and money: to be
> able to run a Travis-like test suite locally

+1

I can't remember the last time I had a successful `make check`, bust
must be decades ago... Improving the ability for devs to run testsuite
locally is a huge asset. I think it goes along the lines of:

  - Only run tests that can be run on the machine, given the available deps
    ... and WARN at build/test time about tests being skipped,
    to hint developer about improving the test coverage

  - Ensure running the tests doesn't mess up with your worktree
    See https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/31980

  - Make it easy for devs to run single, specific tests, to help
    when changing a single specific spot of the codebase

> So, IMHO long life to PRs and Travis for the time being but we need to give
> to the developers the tools to run locally all checks that Travis runs
> remotely so that they are reasonably sure ("reasonably" because Travis
> random unrelated failures are always around the corner) that the build will
> pass and they will be able to debug a Travis failure locally without
> waiting for hours.

Now I realize you're talking about travis-like, that's also something
good to have, but as it would likely take much more upfront bandwidth
(docker image download?) and space (docker image) and time, it is also
good to support more lightweight testing.

--strk;