[Qgis-psc] Discussion our financial situation

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Nov 13 20:44:51 PST 2019

Hi all,
thanks Andreas for this precious volunteer work: we know how tedious it
can be. Good to see things are progressing, and are going generally
better that our expectations.
My comments:
* the missed expenses for GH migration means that the devs did it
voluntarily?
* I see LC meeting was more expensive than predicted; I understand the
organizers devoted back a part of the income to QGIS.ORG: does this
balance off?
* certification is starting to get momentum; the plan was to have a
self-sustaining structure, so I believe a part of the surplus should be
devoted to the development, setup, and management of the infrastructure
(thanks Tim!)
I'd appreciate your comments on these points.
If we end up with a net profit, I suggest reinvesting it mostly in
bugfixing, secondarily in grant programs (something like 75/25). I
believe the interesting proposal from Tim can easily fall in the second
category.
I think we should also discuss about:
* how effective each expense is, to learn from the lesson and do an even
better allocation for the future
* the balance between paid work and volunteer work, to ensure a fair
treatment for anybody.
All the best, and thanks again.

Il 14/11/19 01:00, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> Hi
>

> I would be grateful if we (Kartoza) could get funded to add the stripe
> etc integration into the sponsorships platform, stripe payments for
> certifications, and also improving the infrastructure management to have
> a better setup for hosting plugins, feed, changelog, planet, and
> automating the hosting of API Docs and QGIS site as GitHub pages or
> similar static hosting environment. Many of these task are already
> underway but it would help us to get dedicated time from Anita Hapsari
> onto this.
>
> Beyond that bug fixing is always a worthwhile thing to spend funds on,
> we seem to have an endless supply :-P
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
>> On 13 Nov 2019, at 21:57, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net
>> <mailto:a.neumann at carto.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I compiled a summary of our financial situation and compare it with
>> the budget:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I_xXVE8RGBNFnJGoBhdLYO4MVm8DlCRudhM1DRINSq8/edit#gid=0
>>
>> I also added expected income and expenses. Both our income and
>> expenses will be higher than expected.
>>
>> In summary, we should spend an additional 15-18k € until the end of
>> the year that is not in the budget or expected expenses in order not
>> to have to pay taxes on revenues.
>>
>> Any ideas? Do we have useful and important work that could be finished
>> until January for around 15k?
>>
>> Should we invest more QGIS bug fixing? Documentation (if we find one)?
>> Our infrastructure? Or upstream qt5 improvements?
>>
>> Thanks for the discussion,
>>
>> Andreas

> ---
>
> *Tim Sutton*