[Qgis-psc] Discussion our financial situation

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Nov 14 01:47:43 PST 2019

Hi

> On 14 Nov 2019, at 10:15, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 10:11 AM DelazJ <delazj at gmail.com <mailto:delazj at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi Ale, all
>
> Le jeu. 14 nov. 2019 à 09:43, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com <mailto:apasotti at gmail.com>> a écrit :
>
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 9:28 AM Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net <mailto:a.neumann at carto.net>> wrote:
>
> Hi, I fully agree on all proposals, if we have a few bucks lefts I'd really like to dedicate some time to fix and enhance the HTML/CSS part of the website and in particular the documentation/manual, I think that the current style is not ideal and I would like to see something more similar to https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.2/ <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.2/>  with:
> - TOC on the right side
> - color theme more in line with our official color palette
> - better fonts and styles for sections and headings
> - better layout for bulleted lists
>
> Speaking only for the documentation, Richard has proposed months ago a migration to a readthedocs-based theme and I've been looking into this the last weeks. An earlier version is available at https://qgis.org/test/en/docs/ <https://qgis.org/test/en/docs/>  with a branch at https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/blob/bing_bang_boum/ <https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/blob/bing_bang_boum/>  (not the latest changes)
> This does not seem to be the same look as what are you are suggesting but the main missing visual bits (not pushed online) is the menu at the bottom allowing to move to versions and translations.
>
> Sorry if ever i'm off-topic but wanted to share that information in case something has to be decided in this area.

We could include that in the infrastructure updates work we propose. I have already done some testing of hosting on GitHub pages:

https://timdocs.qgis.org/en/site/index.html <https://timdocs.qgis.org/en/site/index.html>

Basically pushing all the statically generated docs into a version controlled git repo: https://github.com/qgis/docs.qgis.org <https://github.com/qgis/docs.qgis.org>

And a prototype for putting the API into GitHub pages:

https://api.qgis.org <https://api.qgis.org/>

I think we can do the read the docs theme but update it to match colours etc to the current web site - I agree, modernising the theme would be good.

> Thanks for the update.  I like the readthedocs-based theme more than the current one, that's a good start!
>
> Maybe it could be improved a little and it could share the color scheme with the Python API docs but it's a good starting point indeed.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Alessandro Pasotti
> w3:   www.itopen.it <http://www.itopen.it/>_______________________________________________