[Qgis-psc] Improving the functioning of PSC

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Nov 25 03:14:53 PST 2019

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for your suggestions for improvements.

About that secretary: do you want a permanent role for the secretary or
would we define a "scribe"/secretary for each meeting? Of course, giving
the nature of Google Docs, it would still be useful for everyone being
able to write stuff into the document. And if the secretary is quite a
lot involved in a certain discussion, it would be useful if someone else
steps in for minuting. So we all should be a attentive and step in for
others.

My comments are below:

On 2019-11-22 14:25, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi all,
> here my proposal to improve the functioning of the PSC.
>
> Decision making
> * if the proponent believes the discussion in ML is sufficient, he calls
> for a vote
> * if not, he adds the point to the next PSC voice meeting, where it will
> be discussed and voted
> * once voted, he passes the decision to the Secretary, who adds the
> resolution to the list of resolutions (see below)

Sounds all good to me.

> Meetings
> =========
> * regular meeting once a month, at a fixed date
> * ad hoc short meetings can be called anytime, to discuss single issues
> and to have faster decisions and avoid too long regular meetings; only a
> subset of the PSC members can be present at the ad hoc meetings, if they
> are not interested in that specific topic; their vote will be counted as +0
> * every meeting will have a Chair, normally the PSC Chair, and a
> Secretary, who will have the responsibility for completing the minutes

Sounds good

> List of resolutions
> ====================
> * each resolution will be listed according to a simple template:
> Date of voting
> Proponent
> Rationale
> Votes
> Decision
> Notes
> * all resolutions will be added to a single location#

Public on our website? On Github or in a central Google Docs document?

> Reporting
> ==========
> * for each expenditure, before payment, a report must be completed by
> the proponent, according to a simple template:
> Date of resolution
> Date of delivery
> Proponent
> Description of results
> Eventual links to full description, commit etc.
> Evaluation (success, partial success, failure)
> * for recurring costs, only the initial report should be done
> * all reports will be added to a single location#

Again - here I think we need some flexibility. I very much agree for
QGIS grant projects, other large projects or contributor meetings. But
for other work, such as for packaging, bug queue management, PR + code
reviews, etc. - I don't think we gain much with such reports.

> To Do list
> ===========
> * a list of tasks to be completed will be maintained and available on
> the web#
> * for each item it will be listed:
> Date of proposal
> Deadline
> Proponent
> Responsible
> Description
> Notes
> Status (standby, in progress, completed)

We already have todo lists in our meeting minutes. Do we need an
additional one? Maybe a central one would be useful to avoid duplication
in the meeting minutes. So the meeting minutes would point to the
central TODO file - right?

> # I propose to add all documents to
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/tree/master/source/site/getinvolved/governance
> and compiled into the main website, as this is simple and easy to
> search, also in the long term.
> Minutes IMHO can stay in a dynamic infrastructure, like GDocs, where the
> advantages of communal editing are evident.

Sounds reasonable. So everything (TODO, decisions, etc.) would basically
be public?

What to do the others think?

Greetings,