[Qgis-psc] OSGEO4W status and future

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Nov 25 03:28:05 PST 2019

To the Board of Directors of OSGeo
---
Dears,
I'm writing you on behalf of the QGIS.ORG Steering Committee. As you
know, OSGEO4W is a crucial piece of infrastructure, allowing Windows
users to easily install and upgrade software under OSGeo umbrella.
Its maintenance has been led since many years by QGIS developers,
especially Juergen Fischer, mostly on a volunteer basis. QGIS.ORG has
invested some resources on this. The recent major upgrades of basic
libraries (Proj and Gdal) required a considerable packaging work. and
revealed some limitation of the current infrastructure.
We believe OSGEO4W would benefit from a specific investment, best if
long term, allowing to overcome the limitations and create an even
better product overall. We are sure this features highly in the
priorities of OSGeo, and we'll be happy to discuss jointly an improved
roadmap, investment plan, and coordination between projects.
All best wishes.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: