[Qgis-psc] Formal request to extend LTR life span to two years

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Feb 7 04:00:05 PST 2020

Hi Nyall,

Il 07/02/20 07:00, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> Personally, I stopped backporting fixes to 3.4 late last year. The
> effort and trickiness involved in porting them was too high, and I
> deemed the risk of doing this to greatly outweigh the benefit of
> having a bug fixed in 3.4. In the absence of an official policy here,
> I've been suggesting the same for backports others have submitted.

I miss your point here: what is the usefulkness in having LTR without
bugfixing? It is just a downloadable static installer?

> I'll run with whatever policy PSC sets for this, but it needs to be
> very well defined in order to avoid any misunderstandings by either
> developers or users...

fully agreed

> Right -- as an example as soon as proj 7 rolls out without the older
> api compatibility, 3.4 will no longer build (and **CANNOT** be fixed
> to do so). So when distros update to this that's the definite EOL for
> 3.4 support on those distros...

this is what scares me most. calling anything LTR and being unable to
use it in the OS of choice because of dependenciaes will increase
fragmentation.
IMHO we should try not to have too many versions around, as this will
increase noise, especially for bug reports (one of the crucial
priorities for our users).

Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu