[Qgis-psc] Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Feb 18 23:11:10 PST 2020

Hi Matthias, all

Il 18/02/20 19:48, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:
> On 2/18/20 5:42 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> Il 18/02/20 16:40, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:
>>
>>> Packaging python plugins into QGIS core also will tie the version and
>>> update management to the main QGIS release cycle and reduce the
>>> possibilities to fix bugs as they appear.
>> not necessarily: we can include in the point release new versions of the
>> plugin as they appear.
>
> As said, various organisations and individuals do hardly ever upgrade
> point releases. Whereas upgrading plugins is very well possible for them.

I do not see the advantage for the project here.

>>> Many organizations hardly ever upgrade QGIS in months whereas plugins
>>> can easily be updated anytime.
>>>
>>> Shipping a package as part of QGIS de facto makes it a part of QGIS and
>>> we should apply the hard QGIS Q/A rules on it so we can proudly present
>>> it as an integral part of the application. Something we decided we do
>>> not want here.
>>>
>>> I think our best bet is leaving the plugin where it is and advertise it
>>> broadly to make it known.
>> doing this for plugins that are part of QGIS since long will cause
>> problems to users.
>
> I can't follow this point. Can you elaborate?

if a plugin that has been a part of a standard QGIS installation
suddenly disappears, I'm pretty sure this will make life of many users
difficult, as it will not be easy to reach them explaining they have to
take additional steps just to get back to the original situation.
I think we should avoid any significant loss of functionality.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: