[Qgis-psc] Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 08:27:59 PST 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 5:18 PM Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Wed, 19. Feb 2020 at 10:40:37 +0000, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > What about if we ship QGIS ‘bare bones’ and on first run ask the user if
> they
> > would like to install our selection of highly recommended plugins (which
> are
> > basically what are in core or things like resource sharing)? That way we
> > could onramp people into using those whilst still keeping them separate?
> > Maybe in the plugin website we could just tag ‘endorsed’ plugins to
> defined
> > which get installed in this process?
>
> What about people that don't have network access?   Either because the are
> in
> developing countries or in enterprise environments that don't allow random
> downloads?
>
> I thought that was the main argument for standalone installers.
>

> Jürgen

Good point.

I would say that for metasearch if you don't have a connection it wouldn't
be of much use, same goes for resource sharing.

In any case, if this is the problem, we could ship zipped plugins and they
could be installed from the zips in case there is no network available
(install from zips is also in the plugins API so it's scriptable from
another "meta" plugin if needed).

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it