[Qgis-psc] Environmental policy

Kurt Menke kurt at birdseyeviewgis.com
Fri Jan 17 16:18:36 PST 2020

I think this is a great and timely discussion to be having. Paolo and
Andreas thanks for starting the ball rolling.

* do we need an explicit environmental policy?
Yes I think this would be fantastic for the project and would set a nice
precedent. +1 from me.

* probably our greatest impact is travel for Developers Meetings
  * do we need in person general meetings, or we can promote more
extensive and structured use of remote connections?
  * if we need it, do we need two meetings per year?
  * do we want to plan our meetings in an optimal location, to minimize
total travel?

I think the face to face meetings are really important to developing
community. I think the frequency works well with the release schedule so I
wouldn't be in favor of reducing it. Personally attending the user
conferences has been very important. I have formed some lasting personal
and professional relationships with people on other continents by
attending. It is impossible for me to attend without getting on a plane, so
it's always a hard decision, but some air travel in moderation is still
worthwhile. I hope to be in Nødebo and would be willing to commit to
offsetting the carbon in someway. I've been thinking of how to incorporate
carbon offsets into my business too.

  * do we want a combination between the two: smaller local meetings
that reduce travel, coordinated across the globe?

As it stands, it is possible for smaller regional meetings to be organized
as was done in Noosa.

  * do we want to suggest|gently push|require participants to use low
impact transportation?

Gently push - having this as a suggestion in a policy is a good start.

  * do we want a cap on cost and time difference between transportation
method? e.g. train is to be used when cost or duration are no more than
x times flight cost or duration

No

* do we want to engage in proactive environmental actions? e.g. donating
to the environmental agencies|NGOs|etc. specific tools to evaluate and
reduce impact? e.g. a QGIS ad hoc grant with a specific budget for it

It would not be difficult to estimate the carbon footprint of a meeting,
and then make some sort of donation to try to offset that.

* do we want additional actions? e.g. low impact (vegan) diet on Dev
Meetings?

No

Kurt Menke
Bird’s Eye View