[Qgis-psc] Investigating CMYK support in Qt/QGIS

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Jul 1 04:56:39 PDT 2020

Hi

> On 1 Jul 2020, at 12:29, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 1:17 PM Andreas Neumann <andreas at qgis.org <mailto:andreas at qgis.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi PSC,
>>
>> Nyall is investigating ways to support CMYK in QGIS in the future.
>>
>> Parts of this work (probably the larger part) will be improvements in the qt library.
>>
>> KDAB would be willing to investigate the feasibility and amount of effort necessary for these improvements.
>>
>> I am therefore asking PSC to permit using some funds from the "Qt5 upstream improvements"section (we have 10k in this section, see https://www.qgis.org/en/_downloads/QGISBudget2020.pdf ). For the first investigation we will probably need 2 days of work.
>>
>> Please reply if you are ok with QGIS.ORG funding this initial CMYK in Qt work.
>
> I'm in general not totally comfortable when funds go to activities not
> directly involved in the QGIS project, except when they go to
> GIS-oriented (OSGEO) "brother" projects (like GDAL or PROJ to cite a
> few).
>
> In this case, because the amount seems relatively small (how do they
> exactly charge for one working day?) and because I see the potential
> to have professional color support in QGIS I think I'm ok with that.
>
>> For any follow-up work there will most likely be some institutional crowd funding.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to pay-back the initial investment done with
> QGIS funds if the crowd-funding goes well?

Andreas I also think we risk blurring the lines here - the original idea for KDAB  funding, as I understood it, was to be able to have hard core Qt upstream issues fixed that affect QGIS stability or performance. I wasn’t clear from your description if that is the case, or whether it is the case that we are wanting new upstream Qt features to support new features in QGIS? If we do that spend money on CMYK, are we eroding our funds that might go into fixing bugs and stability issues?

> Alessandro Pasotti
> QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net <http://www.qcooperative.net/>
> ItOpen:   www.itopen.it <http://www.itopen.it/>
—