[Qgis-psc] doc-test repo

Harrissou delazj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 00:44:17 PDT 2020

Hi Matthias, all

Of course, interest much appreciated. Thanks for asking and sharing experiments.

There are many purposes but the main one for me is to have a playground where: - I could experiment things for the docs with no fear I would break anything in the official doc system,
- the maintenance burden is on the community shoulders 😝 - actually there shouldn't be any, we will try to make the mess the less messier. Actually it's easier to setup something within an established QGIS org than beginning a personal one (we not only setup a repo in GitHub but there's also its alter ego in Transifex). With the addition that it would stay more accessible to the community members this way.

Now for what?
- keep our dependencies up to date: eg, Sphinx is releasing versions quite quickly (or I never paid attention to their release pace) but few months ago we were using a more than five years old version. Never again! Even now, they already moved to another "major" version so it could be nice to test how things play: English build (tested locally and already fixed the potential "bugs"), translation processes (with tx and sphinx-intl newer version...), smooth other languages build processes... before we follow the move (and we should follow the move)

- main motivation (to me): test Transifex Live [0]. I'm convinced that providing context (and live preview?) to translators would ease their work and make their translations better, and this is what this feature is supposed to do, from my reading. And I think it should be more mature now [1]. Needs now testing. IRL.

- and probably explore more of the remaining tasks Richard listed [2] when we refactored the docs theme. And I think there might be items in which Denis work could indeed help there, from my understanding of the readme.

Hope that clarifies. And if anyone wants to give a hand, you are warmly welcome. As always.

[0] https://docs.transifex.com/live/introduction
[1] http://qgis-community-team.2324516.n4.nabble.com/Qgis-community-team-What-about-using-Transifex-Live-td2043.html
[2] http://qgis-community-team.2324516.n4.nabble.com/Qgis-community-team-Minutes-of-the-QGIS-doc-meeting-tp3306p3309.html

Regards,