[Qgis-psc] Feed item regarding proposed removal of DB2 provider

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jan 22 14:20:57 PST 2021

Hi PSC,

any thoughts regarding this ? My call to users on qgis-user list resulted in
ZERO user asking to keep the DB2 provider.

Other data points:
https://stackoverflow.com/search?q=qgis+db2 results in ZERO match
compared to
https://stackoverflow.com/search?q=qgis+oracle in 20, or
https://stackoverflow.com/search?q=qgis+sql+server in 26

Do you see this provider as a strategic asset for the project ? I'm perhaps
missing context, but the only visible thing is that it seems to be a regular
maintenance burden for the regular QGIS contributors: see
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commits/master/src/providers/db2

If IBM doesn't want/can't support in a convincing way ($$$$$) its inclusion in
QGIS core, then we should strongly "encourage" them (with a firm deadline) to
move it as a plugin, which is definitely the place where such a thing, with an
extremely limited user base, should be.

I've exactly the same thoughts regarding HANA...

Even

http://www.spatialys.com