[Qgis-psc] #qgis on Freenode

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri May 28 15:49:36 PDT 2021

Hi

>From my recollection of when we did that with Gitter, the bridged messages
look very spammy with lots of extra text around each message. It would be
nice to see an example of what the bridged message will look like in
telegram before we go ahead and do that. Also occasionally we need to block
a user in Telegram and it would be good to know if we can similarly block
bridged users, otherwise I would be -1 for adding the bridge.

I just want to point out that as of just now we have 1310 users in the
Telegram group. I doubt we could get them all to migrate over to something
else so although I share your preference for a free chat platform, I prefer
to take a pragmatic approach and not try to splinter the chat offering for
the sake of something we care about and they don't. Maybe make a poll on
the telegram to see how many would be willing to shift over...?

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 5:45 PM Marco Bernasocchi <marco at qgis.org> wrote:

> Thanks Sandro, maybe we should use matrix and bridge telegram there so we
> would have the best of both worlds.
>
> The telegram channel is indeed super active!
>
> cheers Marco
>
> On Fri, 28 May 2021, 17:22 Sandro Santilli, <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 05:00:56PM +0200, Régis Haubourg wrote:
>> > If we really want to go on a phone-first centered app, I would rather
>> > vote for Signal than for telegram, even if it is de facto here.
>>
>> FYI:
>>  - There are many phone clients for Matrix (I use Element):
>>    https://matrix.org/clients/
>>  - Telegram can be bridged to Matrix:
>>    https://t2bot.io/telegram/
>>
>> --strk;