[Qgis-psc] First sample outputs of telemtry work

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri Apr 29 14:35:41 PDT 2022

Hi Andreas

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 5:00 PM Andreas Neumann <andreas at qgis.org> wrote:

> Hi Tim,

See also my answers to Régis for more context. More comments below. Note
that I share the dashboard publicly so look here

http://feed.qgis.org/metabase/public/dashboard/df81071d-4c75-45b8-a698-97b8649d7228

especially at the little (i) indicators which I tried to populate with more
defail.

> Looks really cool - thanks for working on this! I kind of expected the
> dominance of Windows as an operating system, but I am surprised to see one
> particular Windows (Windows 10) take such a large share. Many government
> agencies or companies that I know still use older Windows versions.

I guess MS has been working hard to make the upgrade process smoother which
is IMHO a good thing from a security point of view.

> I also wonder what hides behind some of the quite large bars in the
> category "Other"?

We can break them out if needed.

> When it comes to QGIS versions, I think we should better aggregate only by
> major versions and for now ignore the minor versions. This large
> fragmentation into minor/minor versions seems to lead to this gigantic
> large bar of "Other".
>
> Yes it is on my todo list to aggregate all 3xxyy into 3xx so they show as
one bucket.

> Question: is there any chance to put the absolute numbers in relation with
> the rough population size of a country. It is only natural that large
> countries like France, Germany, USA and Brazil open QGIS  more often than
> smaller countries. But put in relation with population size, the pattern
> could look quite different.

The first map already does this. The second one shows absolute numbers per
territory regardless of population.

> My cartography teachers told me that it is absolutely forbidden to use
> absolute numbers in choropleth maps - ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN ! Numbers always
> need to be put in relation with the size (area and/or population) of a
> country.

He is probably right but I think the world of BI (Business Intelligence)
has largely ignored him and the world is now littered with maps like this.
I still think it is interesting to see the absolute numbers by country.

> Thanks a lot for your work to all people involved!

No problem, and again let me extend the invitation to you to go onto the
backend and help improve the dashboard, this is just my first chicken
scratch. I think the real value will be to see the relative breakdown of
platforms, versions countries and the changes to these over time so we can
identify trends. In terms of absolute numbers I am still unsure if it tells
us a real picture of how many users we have.