[Qgis-psc] Advertising Raster FileGeodatabase GDAL work via news feed?

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Tue Dec 20 01:47:11 PST 2022

Hi,

This is fine with me.

I wouldn't advocate the closed formats - but in some circumstances it is
necessary being able to read such closed formats.

Fortunately, most of the gov authorities in our country are not using
closed formats for open data publishing ...

I agree with Richard, that the local QGIS community in such countries where
they do use closed data formats, that they should contact the authorities
and ask them friendly if they could publish alternative formats.

Thanks for the initiative and greetings,
Andreas

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 at 01:11, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi PSC.
>
> I'm seeking thoughts on whether the news feed can be used to promote a
> funding opportunity for developing an open driver for accessing raster
> data stored in ESRI Geodatabases.
>
> This is spurred by the recent discussion on the QGIS user list:
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2022-December/052260.html,
> but has been an big pain point for a long time. These rasters are
> currently completely unreadable in QGIS, which presents a big risk for
> our users when situations arise (like in the linked thread) where data
> custodians are ONLY publishing official data in these formats.
>
> I've had many emails from users who have hit the same situation, and
> found it be a barrier to using open source software as a result.
>
> Unfortunately to date Even, myself, and a number of other motivated
> users have been unable to find a sponsor for development of the
> required GDAL driver. As a result I would like to advertise this
> opportunity via the news feed in the hopes that the wider exposure
> would lead us to a sponsor, and ultimately to be able to solve this
> data restriction once and for all...
>
> Is this acceptable? I can write (and post) the article if approved.
>
> Nyall

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)