[Qgis-psc] Is updating of the MacOS version planned?

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Mon Jul 10 00:30:42 PDT 2023

Hi Caspar,
unfortunately, we started multiple efforts to get the Mac community behind
the work/financing needed but it failed. That is partly why the Mac
packaging is lagging.

Fortunately, there is very good news for Mac packages, please see
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/270#issuecomment-1628381143

Cheers
Marco

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 at 15:58, Caspar Raap via QGIS-PSC <
qgis-psc at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I am actually very sorry if this is the wrong space for me to post, but as
> in the latest proposal round the proposal to create a conda based building
> and dependency system for the Mac builds was not accepted:
> will the MacOS libraries like GDAL etc. be updated in the foreseeable
> future? This has been dragging, and I have tried to use the community
> maintained conda build, but unfortunately I personally have not gotten it
> to work. Support for Apple Silicon would be a nice thing, but as some
> official geodata e.g. from the state of Hessen, Germany is not working with
> the old libraries (the bundled one is GDAL 3.3.2 (9/2021) and the latest
> one which is required for several features to work correctly is 3.7.0
> (5/2023)) I will have to find a way to not use the official Mac build,
> because it is really starting to become unusable. Also there are many
> GitHub issues piling up, which are related to this in some form or another.
>
> I really appreciate the effort put into the continued development but I
> would love to see the corresponding achievements being actually usable on
> all platforms.
>
> Personally I think I might have to try to dual boot Asahi linux (which
> will be a pain) just in order to run a native release with the current
> libraries.
>
> Thank you guys for all the dedication
>
> Best
>
> Caspar Raap
>

> Urban planning student Universität Kassel, DE

Marco Bernasocchi

QGIS.org Chair
OPENGIS.ch CEO
http://berna.io