[Qgis-psc] European CRA and its implications

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 04:48:55 PDT 2023

Hi All,

this is definitely a topic we should address seriously, thanks for
raising it Vincent.

I took some time to really read the text and understand it. I made a
short summary [0] , and found some news on the law-making process.

The current text is a major threat for the whole FOSS ecosystem.

As for QGIS, the main text clearly embeds any data processing tool, but
Annex 3 is not explicitly mentioning our activity field in the list of
critical products. It is not a good reason not to act, all this is a bit
fuzzy, and we will be in all cases flooded with user messages about our
CE certification, just as we are seeing this growing from various
countries (US for instance)

 From what I see, the linux fundation, the FSF,  also started to work on
this, GitHub too. At this stage, the trilogue between the commission,
the parliament and the conceal are starting and let some minor room for
improvement. The parliament proposal an amended version that is way
better [2].

It is indeed a bit late for the vote happening today at the parliament,
so finger's crossed for this one, but I am not sure their will be any
debate possible today.

A this stage, We indeed need to push QGIS.org and OSGEO to the ITRE
committee [3] that will occur this autumn to make exemption to real FOSS
projects. They will have to move, many requirements are utopic and break
the classical CVE coordination process. We also can forecast that the
control authorities will be overloaded with the massive impacts of the
current text.

IMO, whatever happens on this front, we will have to push towards a
better security process, because US federal already make it mandatory to
use certified tools. IT departements are not comfortable with FOSS and
we have to at least describe our process (that was on my todo list for
the website).

Even if QGIS desktop is a desktop tool, I think there is a lot of work
to do. Just one example, default setup for connecting to datasource is
not warning enough users that password can leak in plain text in project
files, we might want to disable it by default, or dig these options
deeper in the UI.

An automatic update process would probably something we will have to
fund.  The time frame is 42 months starting from the adoption of the
text and being certified CE.

i'd be happy to help on this front. Vincent, could you also provide some
help ?

[3] https://www.europarl.europa.eu/committees/fr/itre/home/members

[1]
https://github.blog/2023-07-12-no-cyber-resilience-without-open-source-sustainability/

https://linuxfoundation.eu/cyber-resilience-act

[2]
https://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2014_2019/plmrep/COMMITTEES/ITRE/DV/2023/07-19/11-CA_CRA_EN.pdf

[0] ---------------------------

Summary by Régis on the basis of the current submitted text

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:52022PC0454

We will be submitted explicitly in clause  [10]:
                (10)In order
not to hamper innovation or research, free and open-source software
developed or supplied outside the course of a commercial activity should
not be covered by this Regulation. This is
  in particular the case for software, including its source code and
modified versions, that is openly shared and freely accessible, usable,
modifiable and redistributable. In the context of software, a commercial
activity might be characterized not only by charging a price for a
product, but also by charging a price for technical support services, by
providing a software platform through which the manufacturer monetises
other services, or by the use of personal data for reasons other than
exclusively for
improving the security, compatibility or interoperability of the software.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:52022PC0454

## Are we a critical product ? art 6 chapt. 2

the cybersecurity-related functionality of the product with digital
elements, and whether the product with digital elements has at least one
of following attributes:

(i)it is designed to run with elevated privilege or manage privileges;

(ii)it has direct or privileged access to networking or computing resources;

(iii)it is designed to control access to data or operational technology;

(iv)it performs a function critical to trust, in particular security
functions such as network control, endpoint security, and network
protection.

(b)the intended use in sensitive environments, including in industrial
settings or by essential entities of the type referred to in the Annex
[Annex I] to the Directive [Directive XXX/XXXX (NIS2)];

(c)the intended use of performing critical or sensitive functions, such
as processing of personal data;

(d)the potential extent of an adverse impact, in particular in terms of
its intensity and its ability to affect a plurality of persons;

(e)the extent to which the use of products with digital elements has
already caused material or non-material loss or disruption or has given
rise to significant concerns in relation to the materialisation of an
adverse impact.

_IMO any data management tool falls into this category. Even worse, i
think any desktop tool falls into (ii)_
_However, the Annex III doesn't list anything alike QGIS is doing,
either desktop or web. We might argue that we are not in the list_

##  What are we submitted to exaclty ?

- CE marking will be mandatory
- this must be done following an auto control process. UE state members
will conduct random audits.
- 42 months of transitional period
- each Member state will design a monitoring authority
- each member State will design a certifying authority
- the European agency is ENISA , which coordinates the work at european
level
- Fees can go up to 15 Million euros or 2.5% of the mondial turnover
- fees depend on Member state and not europe.

## Requirements (cherry picked)

- products must be delivered without any known vulnerability. _this
sound like somewhat utopic_
- products must log internal events to allow auditing of modified data,
network access . _utopic too_
- vulnerabilities must be fixed by security updates , if applicable by
automatic updates and user notifications incentives. _sounds reasonable_
- we must list our CVEs. _sounds feasable with code scanner tools.
Should we also scan dependencies ? Probably yes._
- fix issues with no delay _sounds utopic, but I think if we deal with
higer priority and adress issues, that should be enough given the fuzzy
interpretation we can expect_
- disclose immediatly fixed vulnerabilities. _sounds inline with our
practices_
- have a formal process for cve raising (mail adress etc )
- go towards a system making security updates easy and fast. This raises
again the long standing issue of automatic updates.
- administrative burden of UE conformity declaration. It doesn't look
like something recurrent.

## Questions

- compatibility with GNU licence and impact that costs are relying on
the user and not the developpers ?

- if we should go

## How to act ?

### Raise our voice in every possible channel :

- https://linuxfoundation.eu/cyber-resilience-act
- discord channel https://discord.com/invite/g5FzSx2hRY

- [ ] petitions on behalf of qgis.org , osgeo, individual