[Qgis-psc] Exception to QGIS DEVELOPMENT TEAM Terms of End User License Agreement for University of Maryland College Park

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Wed Nov 1 23:42:52 PDT 2023

Dear Mr. Landavere,

I am bit puzzled about your email and don't know if you expect a response
from us - or not?

Have you actually read the QGIS user license, which is an exact copy of the
GPL license? It gives you a lot of freedom and hardly any restrictions -
unlike many other software you probably use.

For your reference - you can find the license we use here:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.en.html - with one
exception made for the usage of the Qt library documented here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qgis/QGIS/master/Exception_to_GPL_for_Qt.txt

Can you be more specific where you have a problem with the QGIS license?

Regards and greetings,
Andreas Neumann

On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 at 21:20, Mike Landavere <mike at umd.edu> wrote:

> Notice to External Parties of UMD’s Inability to Accept Certain
> Click-Through Terms & Conditions
>
> Re: Exception to QGIS DEVELOPMENT TEAM Terms of End User License
> Agreement for University of Maryland College Park
>
> To whom it may concern,
>
> The University of Maryland College Park (“University”) would like to
> download QGIS from QGIS DEVELOPMENT TEAM (“Company”) via the following
> link: https://www.qgis.org/en/site/.  As part of the process of obtaining
> such product, Company purports to require the University to accept its
> standard terms and conditions pursuant to Company’s “click through
> agreement,” by which the user must accept without modification such terms
> and conditions in order to complete the transaction.
>
> Please be advised that the University is an instrumentality of the State
> of Maryland and is therefore subject to Maryland law, which governs and
> prohibits certain forms of contract terms and provisions. Several of the
> provisions contained in Company’s standard terms and conditions, such as
> the types of provisions identified below, may violate or be inconsistent
> with Maryland law. Therefore, please be advised that the University cannot
> accept Company’s standard terms and conditions to the extent that they are
> inconsistent with Maryland law. Moreover, please be advised that, pursuant
> to Section 12-201 of the State Government Article of the Maryland Code, any
> University employee who has otherwise agreed to the Company’s standard
> terms and conditions does not have authority to agree to terms which are
> inconsistent with or violate Maryland law, including but not limited to the
> provisions discussed below.
>
> The University is not authorized to accept, and cannot agree to accept,
> the following categories of terms and conditions:
>

>    1.
>
>    Commercial Terms. The University is a state governmental entity, not a
>    commercial entity, and laws pertaining to private commercial entities, such
>    as the Uniform Commercial Code, are not applicable to the University.
>

>    1.
>
>    Confidentiality. The University is subject to State open records laws,
>    including the Maryland Public Information Act (Maryland Code Annotated,
>    General Provisions Article, Title 4), and University System of Maryland
>    policies regarding the disclosure of certain forms of information and
>    documents. The Maryland Public Information Act does prohibit the University
>    from disclosing Company’s confidential business and financial information.
>

>    1.
>
>    Dispute-Related Terms. The University is not authorized to agree to
>    terms relating to the resolution or litigation of potential disputes, such
>    as mandatory arbitration, entitlement to injunctive relief, and jury trial
>    waiver clauses. All such terms require the consent of the Maryland Attorney
>    General, which may consent or not in its sole discretion.

> [...]

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)