[Qgis-psc] Israel flag on QGIS

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Fri Nov 3 12:46:26 PDT 2023

Hi Lior,
sorry for the late reply, we discussed this at PSC and after promising to
answer, I had a minor incident an fell sick until this week.

First of all thanks for your open request. We understand that the situation
is horrible and would not want to wish this to anyone and as the news feed
message we put out 2 years ago states:
we view the ongoing world events in Ukraine and other conflict areas around
the world with great sadness. Our aim in developing QGIS has always been to
provide a powerful tool to support the creation of a just and humane
society.

At the PSC we lengthy discussed your proposal and came to the decision not
to do that.
To be clear, this has nothing to do with this specific conflict. After
putting out the Ucraine message we realised that by focusing on that
conflict we were neglecting many other conflicts that unfortunately are
burdening our world and that if QGIS was to put a flag on its news feed for
each conflict, well, I'll let you imagine our news feed.

As Raymond nicely wrote, we've very little (and precious) time we give to
the QGIS project and we want this to be as much value for QGIS.org as
possible so we'd rather put our focus on helping our community making
(quoting the newsfeed again ) "tools like QGIS to the benefit of all
citizens on earth, to support a sustainable environment, an orderly society
and, in particular, to establish and preserve sovereign dignity, security
and freedom from oppression".

I really hope you understand and I wish we would not have to have to
discuss such an horrible situation.

Take care
Marco

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 at 17:19, Raymond Nijssen via QGIS-PSC <
qgis-psc at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi PSC, hi Kaplan,
>
> Although I personally really hate the horrible things happening in
> Israel, Ukraine and many other places in the world, I'm in general not
> in favour of putting flags with (political) statements in the QGIS
> news(?) feed.
>
> I think our PSC and community should focus on creating and maintaining
> the software and infrastructure and not spending their precious
> voluntary time on political discussions and statements.
>
> As an alternative, if we really want a flag, we could show a peace flag
> or something, stating that we are a peaceful community that hopes our
> software will never be used in a harmful way?
>
> Kaplan, sorry for not supporting your idea. Wishing you all the best
> though, and I hope you'll understand.
>
> Take care there,
>
> Raymond
>

> On 15-10-2023 14:37, Lior Kaplan via QGIS-PSC wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Following the horrible events of last weekend in Israel and the war
> > started after it, I was wondering if the Israeli flag can be added along
> > the Ukrainian flag and the peaceful message in the news section.
> >
> > Full disclosure:
> > I'm a qgis sponsor for the last few years, and would continue regardless
> > to the answer.
> >
> > Kaplan

Marco Bernasocchi

QGIS.org Chair