[Qgis-psc] QGIS Question, infrastructure GFA IT System Eval Form

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Wed Nov 1 23:33:53 PDT 2023

Hi Lourens,

So sorry about the lack of response here. Regarding potential "network
connections" - we have a documentation about that in the appendix of the
QGIS desktop user manual:
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/appendices/qgis_desktop_network_connections.html

4.1:
Because QGIS is such an open system and can be rolled out in various
different ways and configuration we can give you a comprehensive list. As
an example, QGIS allows to connect to various types databases and web
services - but most of it is optional. Also, if you install third party
plugins, these may also do network connections.

Hope that the listing in the above URL works for you? Also note, that you
can turn off many of these, if you want to. Most of the connections are
"user initiated" anyway - but also the two remaining automatic network
connects (news feed and version check) can be turned off with configuration.

Drawing of the architecture of the system - yes this is available and
documented in our API doc See https://api.qgis.org/api/ for the API
documentation. One could generate a class diagram out of our API, but it
would be gigantic (A0 size in small scale letters if it would fit). Not
sure if this would suit your need?

4.2:
Other software: QGIS comes with everything it needs, but it can be extended
with plugins
Minimum OS: it needs a 64bit OS (Windows, Mac or Linux). On Windows I think
Win 7 is not supported anymore, but anything younger than Win7 should work
fine.
Minimum CPU: this really depends on your use case. We can't tell anything
here. Any office PC should generally work fine, but if you load very large
data sets, you probably need a beefier machine
Minimum RAM: I would say at the minimum 4GB; but the more the better. For
more serious work, 8GB or more would be required.
Minimum drive space: this depends a bit on the OS you use and the
installation option. It needs 1-2GB or so (because it comes by default with
GRASS and SAGA GIS), but if you have multiple versions it needs more

Does this help to fill in the document?

Anything else you need?

If you have additional, questions related to local issues in Australia, you
might want to contact company North Road https://north-road.com/ - Emma
Hain is a contact or Nyall Dawson. They are based in Australia and know
QGIS very well. Contacts are emma at north-road.com and nyall at north-road.com

Best regards,
Andreas