[Qgis-psc] QGIS Grant Report: QEP #236

Loïc Bartoletti lbartoletti at tuxfamily.org
Wed Feb 14 22:14:16 PST 2024

Dear PSC,

I am writing to provide an update on the current status of our work
regarding QEP #236 implementation. As per our discussions and the
proposed timeline, I'd like to outline our progress and the steps taken
so far.

Time Allocation:
The allocated time funded by QGIS has been effectively utilized, and we
are continuing with our allocated resources.

Overall Progress:
I am pleased to report that we have made significant strides in
advancing the objectives outlined in the QEP. Our efforts are primarily
focused on two main aspects of the proposal.

1. Unification of Algorithms:
This component entails both refactoring existing algorithms and
introducing new ones. While the refactoring phase did not reach the
level of ambition initially envisioned, considerable cleanup has been
achieved, particularly in eliminating code duplications, as evidenced by
the PR submitted [1] [2] [3]. Other deduplications could be considered,
but the main issue is not to break the small optimizations or
adaptations to the logic of the existing code.

2. Integration of Geometry Checker Algorithms:
Following the discussions within the QEP framework, we have decided to
transition algorithms to those already present in the geometry checker.
These algorithms encompass topological considerations. Unfortunately,
due to timing constraints with the year-end and the feature freeze
period, this integration was not yet completed.

Processing Integration:
Efforts have been made to incorporate the geometry checker's algorithms
into the processing framework [6] [7] [8]. Regrettably, these efforts
have not yet been fully realized. We encountered challenges in aligning
processing with the logic of the geometry checker. However, the ongoing
PR by Jacky shows promising progress in overcoming these obstacles. We
are optimistic about achieving the integration of geometry (and
topology) checker algorithms into processing for the upcoming version.
This integration aims to streamline ETL processes for verification and
correction tasks, thereby enhancing codebase cleanliness.

While there have been challenges and delays along the way, we remain
committed to delivering the proposed enhancements outlined in the QEP.

Best regards,

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/55000
[2] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/56130
[3] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/55619