<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">
      <p>Hi everyone,<br>
        <br>
        Thanks Valentin for raising this discussion.</p>
      <p>I also think migrating to Discourse is a good idea. <br>
        <br>
        I had the chance to experience the migration of the GNOME
        project from a mailing list to discourse, and it was a complete
        success. In particular: <br>
        - It allowed many people who found subscribing to a mailing list
        too complicated to join the discussion (please, don’t try to
        rationalize this. Yes, for some people, especially newcomers,
        subscribing to a mailing list really is difficult)<br>
        - It created new discussions between project developers and
        users. By users, I mean people who have lots of ideas or
        feedback for the project but would never have created a GitHub
        account</p>
      <p>For more information, here’s some feedback from the GNOME
        project:</p>
      <p>-
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://discourse.gnome.org/t/common-questions-re-mailman-to-discourse/11841">https://discourse.gnome.org/t/common-questions-re-mailman-to-discourse/11841</a><br>
        - <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://discourse.gnome.org/t/sub-categories/11733/6?u=trim">https://discourse.gnome.org/t/sub-categories/11733/6?u=trim</a></p>
      <p><br>
      </p>
      <p>I also want to point out that it’s totally possible to use
        Discourse directly from an email client. That’s one of
        Discourse’s strengths. <br>
        See for example:<br>
        -
        <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://discourse.gnome.org/t/interacting-with-discourse-via-email/46">https://discourse.gnome.org/t/interacting-with-discourse-via-email/46</a><br>
        -
        <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/how-do-i-use-discourse-via-email/15279">https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/how-do-i-use-discourse-via-email/15279</a></p>
      <p><br>
      </p>
      <p>Cheers,<br>
        Jean</p>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Le 09/03/2026 à 21:17, Valentin Buira
      via QGIS-PSC a écrit :<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CANrSSZ=PGcQ__C+599sSLr97ONH48N1cL_C1R44qh8LrspQz6w@mail.gmail.com">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div dir="ltr">
          <div>Hi PSC,</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>As per my email subject, I would like to know more about
            the status of the migrating mailing list to OSGeo discourse,
            as it was announced almost two years ago on this mailing
            list [1]</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>mailman is a venerable piece of software that has
            served us well for the past 10 years, but the quality of
            life improvements everywhere else has made mailman pale in
            comparison of what a 2026 collaborative platform could be. I
            think it's a good time to study the possibility of migrating
            to discourse again. </div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          In random order a list of defavor argument for mailman and
          favor argument for discourse: 
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>* Answering to an email is super tedious, I don't have a
            mail client installed on my computer and I found two
            workaround this: </div>
          <div>   -  use the developer tools of my browser to find the
            right reply-to email. </div>
          <div>   -  Or write the email first, then browse from my phone
            the web interface for the right mail to answer to and
            finally click on it as my gmail app acts as a mail client. 
             </div>
          <div>* No search function out of the box we have to rely on
            external service like : <a href="http://mail-archive.com"
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">mail-archive.com</a> it's
            fine if you have been in the project for 10 years but if you
            join recently there is a loss of informations. </div>
          <div>* Sometimes I want to answer a really old topic, but I
            don't because I don't want to pollute everybody else
            mailbox. Discourse handles long-tail discussions more
            cleanly via threading</div>
          <div>* This one is a bit subjective BUT to me the current web
            interface looks like a scam website</div>
          <div>* Emojis support in discourse (I think they light up the
            mood sometimes ) </div>
          <div>* Blender, Gnome, Mozilla, pg-routing have all adopted
            it, and have not looked back. </div>
          <div>* Mobile support in discourse</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Last time the discussion came up, I feel like the
            arguments were really one sided, that's why I would like to
            open up the discussion again. </div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I understand the concerns about the migration, and if we
            don't want to dive in right away maybe we could have an
            experiment period of 6 months? Keep both side by side, give
            it a try, and I am convinced the concerns will fade
            quickly. </div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Cheers,</div>
          <div>Valentin</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>[1] <a
href="https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2024-April/066662.html"
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2024-April/066662.html</a></div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">_______________________________________________
QGIS-PSC mailing list
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:QGIS-PSC@lists.osgeo.org">QGIS-PSC@lists.osgeo.org</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-psc">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-psc</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Jean Felder
Développeur SIG
Oslandia</pre>
  </body>
</html>