[Qgis-community-team] Re: [work] [Qgis-release-team] Re:
[Qgis-developer] QGIS 0.11.0 feature freeze
tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Jun 28 16:35:03 EDT 2008
Ok, so based on Tara, et al. comments I'm going to propose that we
abandon the GUI freeze for now, and get the release of 0.11.0 on track
again. Unless there are any objections I will put out a call for
translations, adjust the release timetable and get the show on the
road again. We will leave the GUI freeze to coincide with with final
Tom - does that fit better with you? Also, do you have any specific
areas of the gui that you feel need more attention?
2008/6/24 Otto Dassau <otto.dassau at gmx.de>:
> Hi Tara,
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:54:24 -0700
> Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com> wrote:
>> Documentation writiers -
>> Some developers are protesting the GUI freeze at the present time.
>> I can understand the desire to have a feature freeze before the GUI is
>> What do you think is a reasonable time period to allow for updating the
>> English manual after a GUI freeze?
>> All, or most, screen shots must be created after the GUI freeze, but I
>> think a lot of the text can be prepared in advance.
>> I am guessing that the English documentation update can probably be
>> accomplished within a 1 month period if, as we are planning, we get all
>> the macros, templates, datasets and so on, set up in advance.
> yes, I also think this would be possible the way you described it above, if we
> start soon :-). Can you please add a checklist to the wiki with deadlines for
> orientation. Maybe a general version as used for the releases  would make
> sense, and then we split up the work.
>  http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/ReleaseChecklists
>> PS. I am already behind on my promise to have the datasets ready by June
>> 15th and I don't think I will be able to get them ready before the first
>> week of July due to work/school/family requirements.
>> Tim Sutton wrote:
>> > Hi Tom
>> > I sent out a message on 26 May (see "Release plans for QGIS 0.11.0 and
>> > on to 1.0") in which I mentioned my intention to revise the uis and
>> > then freeze them with the exception of the labelling and composer. I
>> > believe there were other messages in a similar vein but I havent done
>> > a detailed search. Perhaps I did not draw enough attention to this for
>> > which I aplogise.
>> > With the release of QGIS 1.0 targetted for mid August, the time from
>> > release of 0.11.0 for 1.0 will be just over a month. We were hoping to
>> > make the GUI frozen from after 0.11.0 so that the documentation team
>> > can have a fair chance to get their work done without working against
>> > a moving target. The alternative option is to ask them to wait until
>> > mid august before updating screenies etc. and plan to release the
>> > documentation at some point after that (ideally in time for FOSS4G).
>> > I did quite a bit of overhauling of the UI's over the past month,
>> > replacing buttons with QDialogButtonBox etc and generally cleaning up
>> > the layouts of dialogs. Perhaps a good way forward would be to
>> > enumerate which dialogs that you feel still need revision and ask the
>> > docs team to hold off their work until they are revised.
>> > With QGIS 1.0 being so soon in the future we are going to have to get
>> > to the point where we say 'what we have will have to do', or seriously
>> > reconsider whether it is possible to release 1.0 in August. I know
>> > Gary feels particularly strongly that we should 'get it out' in time
>> > for FOSS4G and I suspect plugin writers etc would like to see the API
>> > frozen sooner rather than later.
>> > Yet another alternative I guess is to skip 0.11.0 release and extend
>> > the open season until say end of July.
>> > Anyway, I look forward to suggestions from you and the community as to
>> > how you would like to proceed with the release schedule
>> > Best regards
>> > Tim
>> > 2008/6/16 Tom Elwertowski <telwertowski at comcast.net>:
>> >> Tim Sutton wrote:
>> >>> - We are implementing a GUI freeze as of today (as part of QGIS
>> >>> 0.11.0 release process) and extending up to QGIS 1.0 so that
>> >>> documentation team have ~2 months lead time to get the documentation
>> >>> ready before QGIS 1.0,
>> >> This is the first I have heard of a GUI freeze extending up to QGIS 1.0. I
>> >> am STRONGLY opposed to this. I do not think the GUI is ready for release
>> >> was expecting the final release cycle leading up to 1.0 to be a time to
>> >> improve the interface without worrying about new features.
>> >> Major announcements such as this should be made at the beginning of a cycle
>> >> so that anyone with issues has some time to do something. Since there was
>> >> prior notice, I would like to see a GUI review during the time leading up
>> >> 0.11.0 with changes resulting from this review to be added during the first
>> >> two weeks after 0.11.0.
>> >> Tom
>> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > No virus found in this incoming message.
>> > Checked by AVG.
>> > Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.3.0/1504 - Release Date: 6/15/2008
> 5:52 PM
> Qgis-community-team mailing list
> Qgis-community-team at lists.osgeo.org
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
More information about the Qgis-release-team