[Qgis-tr] Fwd: Coordination of the Greek Language

Nikolaos Tsarmpopoulos ntsarb at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 06:35:34 PDT 2019

Dear QGIS colleagues,

I am making an effort to get the Greek language translation process move
forward and, in this direction, last week I wrote to both of the respective
team coordinators, Werner Macho and Thodoris Vakkas.

My understanding is that, currently, there isn't much goining on, in terms
of organisation/coordination activity for the Greek translation. I may be
wrong, in which case I'd be very grateful if you please let me know about
the ongoing coordination activities and provide references/links to the
relevant work.

However, if my observation is correct, I am happy to step forward and make
myself available for the role of coordinator for the Greek language.

There are genuine challenges with the Greek translation. For example,
there's no Standard for the Greek GIS terminology, which could be used as
point of reference. Also, to the best of my knowledge, there is no sponsor
for the translation of QGIS to the Greek language.

To address these, as well as any other challenge that comes on the way, I
think it's important to liaise with private sector, public sector
organisations and universities, which may have an interest in the
translation of QGIS to the Greek language.

I'd be very interested in hearing the QGIS Translation Team's views and
learn more about if/how other teams have managed to deliver a consistent,
reliable translation and achieve progress that follows closely the original
English text. Have other countries established national standards for GIS
terminology and, if so, do QGIS translation teams make good use of these
standards?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Nikos