[Qgis-tr] Concerns about translations and QGIS overall credibility

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 04:08:57 PDT 2020

Hi,

A lot of things were already suggested, so I wanted to add my workflow.
I do it like many others here. Whenever I see a wrong translation I
open transifex, search for the wrong translation and directly change
it on the fly in transifex. (first looking in current master/main, if
it is already corrected for future versions, and then looking in the
version where I found it).

As for the question from Ari: QGIS comes preinstalled with all
languages that reached 30% of translation in transifex (whether this
is a quality criterium or not is another question, but at least it is
a hurdle so that switching to another language really means you see at
least something translated). You only have to switch the language in
the properties "Settings -> Options -> General -> Override System
Locale -> Select language in dropdown".

Regarding Input and Screenshots: Yes you can add Screenshots as visual
to transifex, but only in the paid version.

And the last point from my side: You can Download the translation file
from transifex and use linguist for translation as you were used to
before the switch to transifex, so there is not much change here.
That way you might also be able to see the context if you have the
source (of the correct version of QGIS) available.

Regarding the "wrong" translations, well.. The more people work on it
the more "mistakes" will happen.
Telling people that they can easily fix any wrong translation they see
in their interface is IMHO the right way.. that's why we choose
transifex with its easy web-based translation capabilities.
That's what opensource is about - everybody can contribute. Before
using energy to complain about wrong translation - use the same energy
to just silently fix it :)

As already said I see some advantages in defaulting to english, but we
should make it easy for people to switch to their native langauge
(with a warning, that it might not always be good translated and even
more with the hint that they can change possible mistakes easily on
transifex.

regards
Werner