[Qgis-tr] Important: translation of QGIS-Documentation changes

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Mar 20 03:16:49 PDT 2020

Hi,

THANKS for raising this! Inline my (long comments)...

Long story short:

1) apparently something went wrong, so maybe I should push again all
strings from github -> transifex (and overriding transifex in that
way!!!) I will sent an email to the list, asking if somebody does NOT
want me to overwrite the transifex version.

2) we do have 'duplicate msgid's in the po files... we have to check for
that

3) I do not think that you should work from github at THIS moment. You
can (if you coordinate it good enough for your language) in the future,
by translating the locale file and then push/overwrite the version (one
file at a time) on transifex.

On 3/20/20 8:50 AM, Hideaki M. wrote:
>> tl;dr please refrain from translating QGIS Documentation for one or two
>> days while we move to some infra/build changes.
>
> How can I know when I can start to translate again? Can I get some notification here?

Yep, GO :-)
Sorry for not letting it know. The 'migration' more or less is finished.
There are a lot of small things to do, but you should be able to
translate again. Building WITH translating is a little slow, because not
yet automated...

>> 1) we will loose some percentages of the translation: either because of
>> changes in sentences or files (off course) but also because of issues
>> with them during the migration. IF you think you lost translations:
>> please have a look into the 3.4 project and check if you can maybe get
>> them from there, or ask us for help
>
> Po files for my target language have already been copied into the locale directoryof the 3.10 project in GitHub:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/blob/release_3.10/locale/.
> I checked some files and I found the translations are kept in Github but are almost vanished in Transfix.
> For example:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/blob/release_3.10/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/docs/gentle_gis_introduction/vector_data.po
> https://www.transifex.com/qgis/qgis-documentation/translate/#ja/docs--gentle_gis_introduction--vector_data/195754365
>
> Which is the actual state at the moment?
> I want to restart translating from the state of the GitHub if possible. Can I do it?

Just to describe what we did:

1) using standard sphinx-intl tools, we created a new .tx/config file.
This had as disadvantage that the 'keys' of the files changed. As an
example:

"qgis-documentation.docs_gentle-gis-introduction_vector-data"
in 3.4 docs becomes:
"qgis-documentation.docs--gentle_gis_introduction--vector_data"
in 3.10. (see transifex and .tx/config)

Note that we went from 982 resources to 291 ...
It is possible that we used some other sphinx params... but I hope that
that is just old cruft we lost.
Note that we did not throw anything away. The old state of translations
is in the "zzz OLD QGIS Documentation" project of transifex:

https://www.transifex.com/qgis/old-qgis-documentation/dashboard/

2) what we then did: we pulled ALL *.po (translations) files from
transifex (for the old 3.4 build) and copied those to the locale folders
of both 3.4 and 3.10 branches of the doc.

My idea was: although keys are changed, the FILES did not so pushing
should work... And it did, but apparently nog good enough?
I see indeed that in the old translations:

https://www.transifex.com/qgis/old-qgis-documentation/viewstrings/#ja/docs_gentle-gis-introduction_vector-data

all was translated while in the new:

https://www.transifex.com/qgis/qgis-documentation/translate/#ja/docs--gentle_gis_introduction--vector_data

A lot misses...  (well it did at time of writing).
Looking into the po file indeed all translations were there, so I pushed
again, forcing the overwriting of the transifex version:

tx push -t -l ja -t -r
qgis-documentation.docs--gentle_gis_introduction--vector_data

and then ALL was translated!! ....

So conclusion: apparently the upload did not go very well...
I just uploaded ALL files from locale folder in 3.10 branch 'ja'
again... And will ask the translators to let me know if they want me to
push again.

I do see some errors though:

tx ERROR: Error received from server: Could not import file: A duplicate
msgid was detected (**Default CRS for new projects**). Use a unique
msgid or add a msgctxt to differentiate.
tx ERROR: Could not push translations. You can use --skip to ignore this
error and continue the execution.
tx ERROR: Error received from server: Could not import file: A duplicate
msgid was detected (**Default CRS for new projects**). Use a unique
msgid or add a msgctxt to differentiate.

which I normally ignore by adding '--skip' in the tx push command...

But we should have a look into this!

Hope this is clear :-)
And to be honest: I'm not a transifex/translation guru, I google my way
out pretty often here ;-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde