[Qgis-tr] Issues with translation

Jörn Gutzeit j.gutzeit at umwelt-it.de
Mon Mar 7 05:47:30 PST 2022

Hi,

as written [1], I did a small survey of german translators and there
problems. It refers not only to Transifex but also to other processes
and structures. We hope that perhaps other translator groups can help us
with experience and tips:

- Some people find it difficult to get started with Transifex. Is there
any experience if workshops can help to get started? Is there perhaps
already a video tutorial (that could be translated or subtitled)?

- It is not possible to preview the translation, e.g. to identify errors
in the formatting syntax. Is there an editor or another way to do this?
Building the doc on their own system does not seem to be an option for
everyone.

- It happens that "dead" or duplicate resources appear in Transifex, so
it is sometimes unclear what actually needs to be translated. How can
you find out what actually appears in the manual, what needs to be
translated?

- You have to keep the structure of the english original, even if it is
incomplete or out of date, so you cannot delete or add a paragraph. Are
there any ideas on how to solve this?

- We have not found a way to get a message when a translation is reset
to english (because there have been changes made). So you don't notice
that something in an already translated part is displayed in English
again. How do others solve this problem?

- It sometimes happens that translations are not displayed at all or
only after a long time. A current example: 14.1 The Vector Properties
Dialogue: translated on 25.01.2022, not yet online. Maybe there are
errors, but how can you find out?

One of the main problems seems to be that already translated paragraphs
are reset to English (and there is no message about it). It looks like
the German translation could be quite a bit further by just restoring
the lost translations (we had previously assumed that this only happened
with changes, but if I understand correctly, there are other problems as
well [2]).
Is there any idea how to solve this problem?

Greetings,
Jörn

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-tr/2022-February/001307.html
[2] „Reoccuring strings“