[QGIS-trac] Re: [Quantum GIS] #1529: v.drape model is useless without a preceding call to g.region in the grass shell

Quantum GIS qgis at qgis.org
Thu Feb 5 14:25:57 EST 2009

#1529: v.drape model is useless without a preceding call to g.region in the grass
shell
-----------------------------------------------------+----------------------
        Reporter:  ventosus                          |         Owner:  nobody
            Type:  bug                               |        Status:  closed
       Component:  GRASS                             |       Version:  1.0.0
      Resolution:  invalid                           |      Keywords:  v.drape
Platform_version:  Testing                           |      Platform:  Debian
        Must_fix:  No                                |   Status_info:  0
-----------------------------------------------------+----------------------
Changes (by msieczka):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => invalid

Comment:

 Replying to [ticket:1529 ventosus]:
 > This is about the v.drape module
 >
 > I never got the right results out of this functions and finally I
 figured out, where the problem is.

 > In the grass help page of v.drape it says in the notes section:
 >
 > > Please run beforehand
 > > g.region vect=2D_vector
 >
 > This has to be typed in the grass shell and then the v.drape module
 works as expected.

 You can manage GRASS region settings from QGIS GUI as well.

 > I'm ignorant about the internals of the GRASS plugin, but wouldn't it be
 possible that QGis
 > handles this automatically?

 It shouldn't mess with region settings if possible. The concept of region
 is a crucial GRASS feature and you need to get familiar with it, as well
 as with other conventions, to use GRASS. Same as with any other software.

 > The module is not really useful in this state, because you have to open
 up a grass shell
 > whatsover.

 No you don't have to. You just need to read some manuals and tutorials.
 That means learn basics before you start using.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1529#comment:1>
Quantum GIS <http://qgis.org>