[Qgis-us-user] Question on area calculations

David Noble noblevideoman at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 12:06:11 PDT 2018

 I had similar trouble with the distance measure tool. I don't have details at hand, but my project in Spokane, WA area seemed fine. New project in Coeur d'Alene, ID area  was giving distances higher than Google Earth and Bing. I took the car and drove some of the routes, noting mileage posts, comparing to my odometer. I already knew my odometer was reading about 10% high. I found my mapping in Idaho needed about 65% correction! I suspect difference in projections and conversions when using different projection sources.
My advice is to verify in the field. Don't rely on aerial scaling.
I found I can adjust the map scale in the map composer. Under feature (individual?) property, the scale bar can be tweeked, using the inverse of the correction factor. I guess it makes the bar appear longer, thus when compared to map, lengths measure shorter. This probably has no effect on area measurements, unfortunately. I had feet numbers overlapping each other, so I manually covered them and inserted aprox. mileage numbers over the scale bar.
-Dave