[Qgis-us-user] I am a beginner GIS person....HELP

etvander65 at gmail.com etvander65 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 15:52:02 PDT 2018

Randy – I think I understand where you are going with this. Let me see if I can share a little more information on what I have and what I ultimately want to do.  I have a street map of the entire Los Angeles County that I downloaded from the LA County Dept. Public Works website.  The map includes data on all of the houses within the county. My community, Altadena is in Unincorporated LA County.  Altadena has a little over 15,000 homes.  Our program, Map Your Neighborhood reaches out to folks that are interested in bringing their neighborhood (10 to 30 homes) together to organize as a group to help each other out in the event of a disaster (911 emergency services will not be available).  We have trained over 50 neighborhoods totally over 1200 homes. I would like to be able to present these graphically by either drawing a shape around the neighborhood or highlighting the homes (as you may have been suggesting below).  The attribute table I assume contains all of the data from all of the items from LA County. It would be nice to parse this down to just the area I am working with and go from there.  But I get the feeling I am asking you all too much.  Please tell me if this out of your scope.

Eric T. Vander Velde (KK6YVS)

Geologist

1059 New York Drive

Altadena, CA 91001