[Qgis-us-user] Alternatives to Safe FME

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Tue Jun 20 09:08:07 PDT 2023

So - I don't know if I have any great suggestions.

I have used Autodesk's True View (free download) to convert DWG files
into an earlier version - but - not sure why QGIS isn't seeing them. I
now it tends to run behind a few iterations of Autocad. You could
convert to DXF.

I've been seeing carlson more and more but have not tried to convert
their XML files to another format. I'm not super sure where to start
there. I guess considering the size possibly ripping the xml apart in
your favorite text editor.

Randy

On 6/20/23 10:04, David Wormuth wrote:
> I had a home license for Safe FME for some hobby work I was doing, but
> it expired and now Safe no longer offers that option.
>
> It's been exceedingly difficult to get any answer from Safe although
> yesterday I finally saw a price of $9,500/annual which is about 1000x
> my willingness to pay level!
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?
>
> I need to move a DWG to PostGIS - for some reason, QGIS 3.30.3 doesn't
> recognize the DWG even saved as an earlier version of AutoCAD.
>
> Also, I need to move a Carlson LandXML file to PostGIS as well.
>
> I don't see how to search old messages (new to the forum, apologies if
> this is a FAQ)
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Wormuth

Randal Hale