[Qgis-user] Reprojection

John C. Tull john.tull at wildnevada.org
Sat Nov 24 12:18:47 EST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Agustin Lobo wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I see that Qgis has "on the fly" reprojection capabilities, but can
> a layer (vector and/or raster) be reprojected (warped) and then saved
> with the new projection?.
>
> Thanks
>
> Agus

I don't see that you received a response on this. My understanding of
this, and someone will hopefully correct me if I am wrong, is that
reprojection only works on vector data. If you save a reprojected
layer as a shapefile, it will still have the original projection
properties of the imported layer. So it is not saved with the new
projection. Raster data is never reprojected on the fly (or warped).

You will need to look at gdal_warp and ogr2ogr if you want to do warps
and reprojections of raw data.

Cheers,
John