[Qgis-user] Loading big images in QGIS: Erdas img vs. ecw vs. bigtiff

marc.monnerat at bluewin.ch marc.monnerat at bluewin.ch
Tue Apr 1 13:03:41 PDT 2008

> Anyway, I have found that implementing a tiled raster layer with UMN
> mapserver,
> and having zoom layering managed with mapserver providing different image
> data
> at different scales, then enabling this as a WMS service & accessing this
> from
> QGIS works fine.

<yes, this would be another approach which I also tested. Seems to work ok,
<except that I don't know if it works for printing?

WMS layers just print fine with QGis! The only limitation with this approach, is that not all WMS Server allow to
produce very large images. By default something like 2000x2000 pixels for Mapserver, but hopefully you can change it.
Many people have processed images as big as A0 with 254 dpi with Mapserver, so it's should not be a problem.

Marc