[Qgis-user] Display of selected polygon only

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Dec 18 09:10:52 PST 2008

Hi Agustin,

I believe this depends on how you make the selection. If you open the layer, then use the QGIS select tool to box a region of the map to select the features from the layer, then all the features are displayed using the selected symbology, with the selected features highlighted. If you choose a symbology with no pen or fill, then your layer will effectively be invisible.

There is an alternative selection capability. I recommend storing your data in a Postgis database to get the most benefit from this. When you open a layer, you can use the selection by attribute capability to control which features are filtered out of the underlying dataset to be displayed by QGIS. Thus your entire layer being rendered by QGIS is only a subset of the entire dataset, and your use of the selection tool on this will only highlight the selected features from your subset.

Effectively it is a two stage selection process, allowing to to select which features will comprise your layer, then further select/identify features from this subset.

You might ( if you haven't already ) look at using the action capability
to create an action that allows you to display the image by clicking on it in QGIS. I've used this very effectively for working with seabed imagery in QGIS.

I'm also working on an application using Postgis & Imagej to allow users to identify & quantify the content of seabed imagery. We are only using a point location for each image, rather than trying to identify the actual area of seabed represented, but this may be of interest to you. This works well with QGIS, and will also be an Open Source application.

HTH,

   Brent Wood