[Qgis-user] qgis displays wrong coordinates on BSB chart

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Dec 30 02:40:10 PST 2008

Hi Jean-Claude

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 18:10 +0100, Jean-Claude REPETTO wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have downloaded a BSB chart from the NOAA site at
> <http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/download_agreement.htm>
>
> Chart #50 (NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN EASTERN PART)
>
> The chart seems correctly referenced (it contains many GCPs, I checked
> some of them), but when I  open it with qgis 1.0 preview 2, the
> latitudes displayed are wrong. For exemple, if I put the cursor on the
> 15° parallel of the chart, qgis displays 13.2°.

For me there is an issue with the referencing of the image. I generated
a 1x1 degree graticule in QGIS using the graticule plugin, set value of
1 in your dataset to be transparent and underlaid the vmap country
boundaries. The BSB dataset aligns with neither the vmap or the
graticule. See screenshot link below. Have you been able to verify that
it is properly aligned when opening in other GIS software?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlinux/3149590299/

Regards

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting & Support Services