[Qgis-user] Plugin Troubles. Getting Started (SIP, PYQT, PYRCC confusions)

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Jul 2 09:17:35 EDT 2008

Hey folks, I want to create plugins for Q GIS and I am completely lost.

I am running python 25 on a windows box.
I have cygwin mingw components installed under cygwin.
Distutils pointing cygwin/mingw for compiling python extensions

I have been going between a bunch of sites to try and figure out how to
get started.

The python stuff is no problem. I want to get the plugin into Qgis.

My understanding is that I need to comppile some resources  against
pyrcc (http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/DevelopingPluginsWithPython)

So I try finding it in the qgis install and it is not there.

Next I learn that pyrcc is part of the QT stack. So I go to learn how to
install pyQT stuff (http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyQt)

I go to Pyqt4 site and get the packages. I can't find binaries so I try
to build form source.

 Of course this leads me to SIP extensions, again that I need to build
from source cause I can not find windows binaries.

Am I going in the right direction or have I missed the simple approach?
I like simple.

So now I am in cygwin trying to do

Python Configure.py -p cygwin-g++; make; make install

For the SIP package. The build fails of course... I then try PyQt, which
fails cause it is missing SIP dependencies. So do I need to start with
the SIP mailing list, then the Pyqt mailing list and then finaly try a
small "hello world" plugin. IMHO if this is what I need to do, this is a
big barrier to potential plugin developers. With applications like
OpenEV I need only create a python script and run it to make a GIS

I have not tried this on my linux box as it is proving to polute my
winbox system. I like a lean linux box without all this overhead and
compiling of binaries that will get hidden.

windows boxes...

In fact a QGIS plugin kit that gives you EVERYTHING would be ideal.