[Qgis-user] data to play with in qgis

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Mar 1 19:48:30 PST 2008

Hi

2008/3/1, Agile Aspect <agile.aspect at gmail.com>:
> Hi - I'm looking for data to play with in the latest version of qgis.

Did you do even a basic

http://www.google.com/search?q=free+gis+data

search  before posting this email?

>  Unfortunately, I'm new to GIS but I have background in software
>  development , differential geometry, physics, and SONAR imaging.
>
>  Note, the file
>
>     http://qgis.org/uploadfiles/qgis_sample_data.tar.gz
>
>  - the so-called sample data set , only contains shape files - which
>  is basically useless.

Its doubtful framing your email this way is going to result in a
barrage of people trying to help you. While we don't expect people to
heap praise on everything we do, making an emotive statement "the
dataset is useless" isnt ever going to carry the same mileage as a
critical analysis "the sample dataset would be a lot more useful if it
included xyz - how can we go about making this happen....".

I highly recommend http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html  if
you are new to participating in an open source community it will
provide you with good guidance on how to frame your questions so that
you  get the help you need from the community.

>  Ideally,  the data set would allow me to follow the presentation in the
>  user manual beyond simply opening a shape file (which if I recall
>  correctly,
>  was 3 mouse clicks.)

Again there is not really a question here so I dont know how to help
you - do you have a suggestion to open a shapefile in less than three
clicks?

>  In addition to learning how to use Quantum GIS,  I'm going to try and
>  convince
>  a GIS Analyst to use Quantum GIS too.
>
>  I'd prefer Alaska data but any location would work.
>
>  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again we'd love to help you but it will help if you post clear
questions  so we can understand what it is you need.

Regards

Tim