[Qgis-user] vector editing in QGIS - questions and issues (PostGIS biased)

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 4 09:46:57 PST 2008

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> Another thing - IMO users more often need snapping than they don't.

I don't know that that's true -- I don't think I ever need snapping.
Though maybe I'm mis-understanding what snapping means -- I think it
means that when you move a point (for instance), it's final coordinates
will be adjusted to fit a pre-defined (though changeable) grid -- i.e.
rounded to a given resolution. I can see how this is useful, but why do
you think it's the most common need?

 > Help
> users not to digitize overlapping features by default, eg. promote using
> snapping rather than not using it. I'd be also in favor of enabling the
> QGIS "topological editing" feature by default.

I'm confused about what snapping has to do with overlapping features? Or
is the idea that if a user intends to put two points at the same
coordinates, snapping makes that easy, where without snapping, it's easy
to have two polygons overlap (or have a gap), when you intend them to
abut each-other? In that case, maybe it would be best to have a "snap to
existing nearby point" mode -- unless that's what snapping already is,
in which case, I'll shut up now...

> What I hate most in GIS are all those overlapping polygons and lines
> which I have to tediously correct topology for, re-calculate their area
> and length, explain the vendor what is wrong about his data. Please
> promote topological practices.

I do agree with this. When editing, it should be clear to the user what
the topology is, and easy to make it what they want. i.e. highlight
overlapping polygons, having a "snap to nearby point", etc.

By the way, I don't think this fits into common GIS data standards, but
it seems to me that the "right" way to deal with these issues is to
define polygons in two steps: a set of points, and a set of polygons
defined on those points. That way, two adjoining polygons would have
their shared vertexes be the SAME point -- not two different ones that
happen to have the same coordinates. Could this data structure be easily
supported?

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov