[Qgis-user] qgis and gps in real-time

Chris H chris123 at magma.ca
Fri Mar 7 04:47:23 PST 2008

On Friday 07 March 2008 05:17:23 am Luca Casagrande wrote:

> Hello Andrea.
>
> I hope not be OT, but here [1] you can find an application similar to the
> one you are going to start.
> In that example, the tracking system is made with a Web Application but it
> can be expanded via Qgis, for the
> reason that the most import thing is to update the data from the receiver.
> Once you have the data updated at a certain interval, you can access them
> with anything (for examples a Qgis plugin that
> will reload data at a selected interval).

I think this is not as simple as described. If realtime tracking is required
and to be displayed, then several things need to be considered. The gps data
will be sent as either NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 that is known as those are the
only available outputs. Most likely NMEA 0183. Then the data needs to be
captured by receiver. The data is typically in text format or pending on the
model. See: http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm

Then you need to consider what data of the data set is to be displayed as the
NMEA output provides for a lot of options. Next you need to consider how the
data is to be displayed and this is dependent on how many people and in what
locations need to view the data at the same time. If its one person then a
qgis solution "may" be possible but qgis from my vary basic review (new to al
this is more or less a desktop gis solution: ie: making maps from various
data source) but if more then one person is required to view the data then an
integrated mapping solution such as presented in the article is the answer.
Mapping servers are heavy weight server based solutions that allow for
presentation of data and associated data layers which can be presented to a
multitude of users via the net. Their function is to serve up maps created by
application like qgis but they do support map and image creation on the fly
pending on how you configure the puppy.  While this is the classic and heavy
weight solution its probably the preferred one. I would explore both however
before making a decision.

Should you go the qgis route and develop a realtime gps data capture pluggin
this would be interesting. I think, Im not sure on this that you would be
limited in terms of viewing the balloon on the associated map to only the
person running qgis. In not aware of qgis being available to multiple users at
the same time unless you use a VNC solution which is essentially a screen
scrape.

--
/ch