[Qgis-user] Loading big images in QGIS: Erdas img vs. ecw vs. bigtiff

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Mar 28 03:58:50 PDT 2008

> Hi Andreas,
>
> Le Friday 28 March 2008 10:35:45 Andreas Neumann, vous avez écrit :
>> - will I run into licensing problem with ecw?, esp. if my filesize is
>> bigger than 500mb?
>
> Yes ! the library can be used for file < 500 Mb with no fees. For bigger
> files
> you have to buy a licence. This is in the licence file.

hm - I can't find this 500MB threshold in the ECW Image Compression SDK
Source Code licence (version 3.3):
http://www.ermapper.com/Downloads.aspx?v=315

maybe this did change recently?

However, the licence, makes clear that governmental use is commercial use,
which means I'd have to buy a licence anyway.

In this case I'd probably better stay with the ERDAS img format and spend
the money for bigger harddisks. Alternatively, I may get bigtiff support
up and running.

Thanks,
Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 Grüt/Gossau, Switzerland