[Qgis-user] Editing dbf attributes via Python Console

Magnus Homann magnus at homann.se
Mon Nov 3 10:02:17 PST 2008

stefaan dondeyne skrev:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> thanks for the responce;
>
> Honestly, I have no idea as in ArcView 3.2 never had to bother about
> this;

"had to" or "couldn't not" :-) QGIS supports many character encodings, you can chose which to
use when opening the shape file. There is a selector for encoding in the open dialog.

> if I open it in qGIS (I am working with 0.11-2 on Windows XP-sp2),
> and do a "save shapefile is" it devault indicates "encoding: UTF-8" -
> should I change that - trying other ones ?

Hard to tell, but you can try a couple fo different encodings when opening and saving.
I think you soon figure out what the formats are. Try UTF-8/16 and maybe the ones beginning with CP.

Good luck! :-)

Magnus