Priority levels for enhancements (was Re: [Qgis-user] Enhancement Requests: Enhanced Map Tips)

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Fri Nov 7 15:42:05 PST 2008

Hi

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 19:44 +0100, Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Probably for this particular case, but, in general, the
> 2 categories should not be the same. For example, adding
> support for ECW and MrSid files
> is not a minor enhancement. It's actually a major
> enhancement from a user's perspective.
> I mean that not all enhancements have to be considered of
> minor priority.
>
> Agus

Note that there is a colon after the priority, so 'minor: enhancement'
doesnt carry the same meaning as 'minor enhancement'.  At the end of the
day adding a new feature should always have lower priority than fixing
an existing one. And a feature that causes a crash or data corruption
should be considered the most critical priority. The priority doesn't
(as your anecdote above implies) refer to the size of the job - I think
in most cases it is obvious from reading the bug report how time
consuming the job will be. Creating more categories as we had in the
past ads a lot of ambiguity to the bug reports because people have
difficulty ranking between more than 2 or three categories.

Best regards

Tim

> Tim Sutton wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 19:34 +0100, Agustin Lobo wrote:
> .../...
> >> BTW, priority "minor: annoyance or enhancement"
> >> should not be split in two different categories? I mean that an enhancement
> >> could not be of minor priority, and certainly
> >> not similar to a minor annoyance.
> >

> > Historically we had many more priority levels but the problem is then
> > people dont know how to choose between them and the data contained in
> > that field essentially becomes meaningless. In essence an enhancement or
> > annoyance priority should be used for cases where the functionality of
> > QGIS isn't critically impaired (e.g. crashing / corrupting data /
> > showing incorrect results) but could be improved in some way. I believe
> > that is a good fit for this ticket.

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting & Support Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net