[Qgis-user] administrator rights and writing permission

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Sat Nov 15 11:00:06 PST 2008

Dear Listers,

Using GRASS/QGIS under Linux usually, I am using QGIS 0.11.0 Metis under
Windows on a teaching purpose and meet a problem with the writing
permission given by default. All the students and myself are working
with limited accounts, the administrator account being used just for
managing the computers (this practice is recommendable for security and
even compulsory under UNIX).

When I try to start a shell session in GRASS (grass tools), I get this
message:

mkdir: cannot create directory `/home': Permission denied sh: cd:
/home/giraudoux: No such file or directory

and then can work normally. I was not that much worried about that until
I found  that some GRASS functions (e.g. i.fusion.brovey)must write in
the directory /home, of course unsuccessfully and thus fail. They can be
used only if one has full rights on the computer including writing on
the C:\Program Files directory (actually quite dodgy on a routine basis).

My question(s): am I right with this ? If so, is there a way to specify
a by default directory other than C: that could be used for writing
(e.g. into another partition, or into e.g. the application data of the
user) ?

Thanks in advance for any hint,

Patrick