[Qgis-user] Problems with grass plugin

Barbosa, A. Marcia a.m.barbosa at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 04:19:25 PST 2008

Hi Agus,

I don't know of any specific documentation on the GRASS plugin apart from chapter 8 of the QGIS user guide.

I also find r.mapcalc confusing in the QGIS interface and I've never got down to it. I use either r.mapcalculator for calculations with up to 6 input maps, or r.mapcalc in the GRASS shell (QGIS module), which I actually find quite straightforward (for example, r.mapcalc output="input1+0.25*(input2/input3)"). And there's the additional advantage that, when using the GRASS shell even within QGIS, you don't need to have the inputs on display in the map canvas.

But what are these problems you have with the GRASS terminal in the plugin?

Regards,
Marcia

A. Márcia BARBOSA

Department of Biological Sciences
Imperial College London, Silwood Park Campus
Ascot, Berkshire SL5 7PY
UNITED KINGDOM

Unidade de Macroecologia e Conservação
CEA - Universidade de Évora, Pólo da Mitra
7002-554 Évora
PORTUGAL

"Anyway, is there any kind of specific doc on the grass
plugin? I'm particularly confused by r.mapcalc (I used grass
in the very old days and use r.mapcalc in the terminal). Any
doc or tutorial on how to use the graphic interfase? Do you use it?

BTW, I always have problems with the grass terminal opened from
the plugin and have to open an xterm. This is not big deal for me,
but students find it very confusing. Could the grass terminal be fixed?"