[Qgis-user] Raster selection

Agustin Lobo aloboaleu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 00:51:42 PST 2008

Jose Maria,

If your "layer in question is vector layer" why is the
subject of your message "Raster selection"?

I suggest:

1. Define a rectangle for your area of interest and save it
as a vector layer. Use New Layer (be sure to define the layer as
polygon), Toggle Editing on and Capture rectangle to define your
rectangle. Toggle Editing off and save.
2. Use ftools/Geoprocessing tools/Clip

It's clear that QGIS lacks 2 simple but critical tools on these issues:

1. A simpler way to define a rectangular polygon for a given area.
Currently, it's hard to get a real rectangle by defining a polygon with
4 points. Also, a tool just saving as a rectangle the currently
displayed extent would be most practical (and perhaps also another
defining a rectangle from the extent of a given object, which would be
required to display the extent of geographical objects out of their
metadata anyway).

2. Clipping raster layers.

You mention that you use grass. Note that through the grass plugin you
can also solve these problems with grass (although I don't like the fact
that you have to go through the location definition and the
import/export from/to grass; we should be able to solve these problems
within qgis itself).

If you have problems to communicate in English, you are welcome to write
me in Spanish.

Regards,

Agus

Message: 8