[Qgis-user] course and plugins BUT BUGS
stefaan_dondeyne at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 06:23:05 EDT 2008
I'd like to confirm Paolo's statement from my experience teaching qGIS to local staff of the Ministry of Environment in Mozambique
Some annoying bugs I came across is (I am not sure to which extend this are known issues - if need be a can give more details)
* with the geoprocessing tool (0.41) doing a clip operation, clipping points with a polygon - worked fine when it concerned a single polygon (boundaries of a province), but when it was a complex polygon - a province defined by several district boundaries - some of the points got lost !!! It worked well doing it in GRASS though, (but for beginners it is confussing mixing GRASS with qGIS); in the geoprocessing tool it's actually called intersection - would be more appropriate if it were called clip
* I also had trouble joining polylines (roads), the geoprocessing tools 0.41 - seems not to work with line type (really only with polygons ?) and the plugin "spatial operation" (version 0.2) seems to allow it, at first - but refussed alleging that the layers are in different projection systems (while they are not).
Interesting doing the clip operation (as explained above) with this tool (cutting out points with "district polygons") also lost some points on the way (though less) and shifted the points a little bit south east wards ...
* and a last point I like to raise - and I know it's I known issue - it is really a pitty that you can't have labels automatically aligned with lines (say name of rivers along rivers or elevation along contour lines - as this is straightforward gvSIG ... For me this should really be something to work out (as a fix may be a tool which adds the local angle of a line segment in attribute table automatically would already be great)
Cheers and many thanks to all those who are developping this great programme
Stefaan Dondeyne (PhD)
CP 121 Chimoio - Mozambique
Cell 82 733 24 14
From: Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
To: qgis-user <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>
Sent: Saturday, 18 October, 2008 7:53:25
Subject: [Qgis-user] course and plugins
Just finished an interesting course for an Italian environment agency.
Most of the stuff worked very well. Every time QGIS is visibly more
stable and more powerful.
- the search tab fo GRASS modules: this saved a lot of time, workflow
was much more pleasant and fast - thanks Tim!
- plugin modules: this caused a lot of people lowering their mandibles
for the power they give and for their ease of use; we spotted several
bugs, wrote to Carson, and most are already solved. I strongly suggest
to include them (at least fTools and Table Manager) in the SVN, and
install them as default: in my opinion we cannot afford missing them.
In the meantime, we found several bugs; I'll fill up the trac soon.
All the best, and lots of thanks to all devs!
Paolo Cavallini, see: * http://www.faunalia.it/pc *
Qgis-user mailing list
Qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Qgis-user